I get a great sense of satisfaction feeding my family healthy food. What’s an even greater sense of satisfaction is when my family is eating something healthy and they have no idea. Sometimes I quietly snicker and think to myself, haha, tricked you! Only if they knew what they were eating sometimes, I would probably be banned from the kitchen forever.
I was actually born with ice cream in my genetic makeup, so it is not my fault that if I had the choice, I could survive eating ice cream only (and drinking wine). Who doesn’t like ice cream? I don’t think that many people. It is unfortunate that such a delicious food has about a bazillion calories and next to no nutritional value. That’s about to change.
I made my, ‘good for you’ ice cream this weekend and was feeding it to Adam and the kids (they do my recipe quality control) when I told Adam what was in the ice cream, he was in total shock. I didn’t tell the kids, I just let them devour it…all of it.
This ice cream is made with no cream at all. It is made with avocados and banana for the base, a little natural sweetener and a touch of chocolate for flavour, so it is loaded with vitamins and minerals. Consider this recipe a base for whatever you like in your ice cream, add pureed fruit, peanut butter, or live a little and add sprinkles.
Here is the Recipe – It Makes 8 Servings – or 1 Gigantic Bowl for You:
4 Ripe Avocados
1/2 Cup Agave Nectar or Honey
1 TSP Vanilla Extract
2/3 Cup Bitter Sweet Chocolate – Melted
Here are the Directions:
1. In your food processor blend the avocado and banana until smooth
2. Add the agave/honey and vanilla and blend until combined
3. Add the warm melted chocolate and blend until combined
4. Pour ice cream mixture into a bowl and put into the freezer for at least an hour.
5. Serve with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
6. If you like this recipe…let me know in the comments below, and of course share it with your friends, they will love you even more.