Happy Valentine’s Day! It is indeed the sweetest day of the year, and a great opportunity to scope out your child’s Valentines Day school stash – it is like Halloween for parents. Valentine’s Day has been strategically placed, a few weeks after the holidays, just in time to allow us to get over the chocolate hangover, and ready to endure another few days of gluttony.
I LOVE chocolate, and find every excuse to eat it. With this recipe, now I can, so can my Valentine’s, and so can you. I’ve been making homemade granola bars for a long time; they are healthy, cheaper then buying at the store, I can put whatever I like in them and they are really easy to make…so why not turn then into a healthy indulgent snack?
Here is the recipe – it makes 12.
1 Cup of Rolled Oats
1 Cup of Spelt Flakes
1/2 Cup of Wheat Germ
1/4 Cup of Hemp Hearts
1/2 Cup Cocoa
1oz Coconut Oil
1/2 Cup Honey
1/4 Cup of Dark Brown Sugar
2 TSP Vanilla Extract
1/2 TSP Kosher Salt
1/2 Cup Dried Diced Strawberries
1/4 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
Here are the Directions:
1. Preheat your over to 300F and grease 1 glass baking dish.
2. In a bowl, mix the rolled oats, spelt flakes, wheat germ, hemp hearts, cocoa powder and salt together and set aside.
3. On medium heat, in a sauce pan, melt the coconut oil, honey, brown sugar and vanilla extract. Once the sugar is dissolved and the mixture bubbles, cut the heat and pour into your oat mixture, mix thoroughly and add your diced dried strawberries and 1/2 of your chocolate chips – try not to eat all of it before you bake it.
4. Use a heart shaped cookie cutter (if you like) to form heart shaped treats. Put the cookie cutter right into your baking dish, pack the granola mixture into the cookie cutter and gently lift the cookie cutter to achieve the shape.
5. Bake your hearts at 300F for 25 minutes. When they come out, sprinkle with the remainder of the chocolate chips.
These tasty treats are beyond delicious, and adorable. They are the perfect opportunity to eat chocolate for breakfast, or any time of day. When I make them I can’t keep my daughters’ or my husband’s hands out of them. Enjoy,,,and Happy Chocolate Day!